To Read Is to Fly

“To read is to fly: it is to soar to a point of vantage which gives a view over wide terrains of history, human variety, ideas, shared experience and the fruits of many inquiries.”
― Alberto Manguel

You can also find me on Goodreads and LibraryThing.

Blue Ice - Brian Dice Brian is a GR friend of mine who was caught by surprise when I quietly bought a copy of his short story collection Blue Ice. After sharing our love of books (and some cat stories), I was intrigued to read his fiction. Life intervened for a while, but in March, when I was still recovering from surgery, I decided to pick up the volume. I had been having problems focusing on reading since the surgery, and although that was improving somewhat, I was still having problems focusing or being engaged for long.

I don't want to suggest that [b:Blue Ice|12960389|Blue Ice|Brian Dice|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1319735496s/12960389.jpg|18117939] is a miracle cure, but I do think it's something even better -- a collection of stories, vividly imagined, covering an impressive range of themes, settings and characters. As I read further into it, I had more and more difficulty putting it down. The stories include "Meeting Burwell," about a touching encounter with the Cleveland Browns' biggest fan; "Concert Pianist," an exploration of the power and limits of music in wartime; "A Perfect 10," which reminded me of Daphne Du Maurier's "The Birds," only set in San Francisco after an earthquake; and the title story "Blue Ice," in which an unforgettable encounter with a Japanese question makes us question how and where we assign value. Some stories, like "The Smokescripter" and "Realworld," have a touch of fantasy and science fiction in them. This collection is recommended for anyone who loves engaging short fiction.

The Upstairs Wife: An Intimate History of Pakistan
Limonov
John Lambert, Emmanuel Carrère
Tourists with Typewriters: Critical Reflections on Contemporary Travel Writing
Patrick Holland, Graham Huggan
Inventing Exoticism: Geography, Globalism, and Europe's Early Modern World (Material Texts)
Benjamin Schmidt
Among the Ruins: Syria Past and Present
Christian Sahner
Midnight at the Pera Palace: The Birth of Modern Istanbul
Charles King
In Light of Another's Word: European Ethnography in the Middle Ages
Shirin A. Khanmohamadi
Intimate Outsiders: The Harem in Ottoman and Orientalist Art and Travel Literature
Mary Roberts